Table of Contents
To instal the Villagio theme, follow these steps:
- In your WordPress admin panel, go to Appearance → Themes and click the Add New button.
- Click Upload Theme, Browse and Choose File; then select the theme’s ZIP file. Click Install Now.
- Click Activate to use your new theme.
- Install required plugins (you’ll be offered to install them).
- Configure Jetpack plugin – connect it to wordpress.com via WordPress dashboard. If you don’t want to connect your site to wordpress.com, enable Developer mode by adding define( ‘JETPACK_DEV_DEBUG’, true); to your config.php file.
Note: we strongly recommend using child theme villagio-child that comes in the theme package (downloadable files) for your custom modifications. This will help you keep your content despite main theme updates.
Import sample data
One Click Demo Import
Since version 1.4.0, we provide an easy way to import sample data with a plugin One Click Demo import. To import sample data in one click, install the recommended plugin “One Click Demo Import (for first theme installation).” offered during the theme installation → then navigate to Appearance → Import Demo Data on your WordPress dashboard and import sample data.
There are also two alternative ways on how to import sample data:
Choose the most suitable option: import sample data from .sql file (if it’s a fresh installation without custom content and you just want to make your site look like our demo) or xml file (if you have content on you website that you do not want to lose and you only need to add sample data of the hotel booking plugin).
You should be able to find manual-install zip archive that comes in the theme package (downloadable files). You’ll be working with it in any of the following cases.
Import sample data from xml file
1. Install WordPress if you have not already done that.
2. Add the theme via FTP or by uploading it via WordPress Dashboard.
3. Activate the theme and install required plugins (Jetpack, Hotel Booking).
4. Connect Jetpack to WordPress.com (it’s free) or temporarily install and activate ‘Jetpack Dev Mode’ plugin. https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack-dev-mode/
5. Navigate to WordPress Dashboard → Jetpack → Settings and enable Testimonials.
Activate other Jetpack modules like ‘Contact Form’ following this URL your_website_url/wp-admin/admin.php?page=jetpack_modules (replace your_website_url with your domain name).
6. Navigate to Dashboard → Tools → Import and click on the ‘Run Importer’ link.
You may need to install WordPress importer first by pressing ‘Install Now’ under WordPress label.
7. Click ‘Browse’ button and select villagio.wordpress.theme.xml.
8. Click ‘Upload file and import’.
9. Select ‘Download and import file attachments’.
10. Click ‘Submit’.
11. Wait until the import is complete.
12. Navigate to Dashboard → Settings → Reading Settings.
13. Choose “The villa rental expert” the home page and “News” for the posts pages. Save changes.
14. Navigate to Dashboard → Appearance → Menus to configure your menus.
Select ‘Primary’ menu and add pages you would like to be displayed in your main menu. Choose ‘Display location’ as ‘Primary’. Save Menu. Repeat with other locations.
15. Navigate to Dashboard → Appearance → Widgets to configure your widgets.
Add ‘Accommodation type’ widget to ‘Front Page Top’ area. Add other widgets you would like to other widget areas.
Import sample data from .sql file
1. First, you need to upload media files to your server. For this try to connect to your server (where WordPress is installed) using any FTP client (e.g. Filezilla, Cyberduck, Transmit) or File Manager – service on your hosting control panel. Then navigate to your site root folder/wp-content/ and upload directory from manual_install that is called /uploads
2. After that you should find villagio.sql file in the package with sample data and open it with file editor like Notepad++, Coda, Atom, etc. and use ‘Search and Replace’ option.
Replace with: https://your-site.com (add your website URL address without a trailing slash)
Click Replace all and save changes.
Note: By default WordPress table prefix is wp_. If there is custom table prefix in your database, you need to replace it in SQL file, too. You can find your WordPress table prefix in wp-config.php file at the site root folder on the server. In the example below you can see custom table prefix mp_
Example: $table_prefix = ‘mp_’;
So once you found your table prefix, copy it and open villagio.sql file with file editor and use ‘Find and Replace’ option again:
Replace with: custom_table_prefix_ (note there is underscore _ at the end)
Click Replace all
Find: _custom_table_prefix (note there is underscore _ at the beginning)
Replace with: _wp
Click Replace all
Save the changes and proceed to the next step.
3. Connect to PhpMyAdmin tool – usually it can be found in your hosting account or cPanel. Once you are in PhpMyAdmin interface, you should click on the database name in the left sidebar and find Import tab at the top. Click Import and upload the edited villagio.sql file. After the message about successful import you can go and check your site.