Table of Contents
Quick start guide
- Install and activate the Nifty Fifty theme.
- Configure Jetpack plugin: connect it to wordpress.com (optional)
- Turn on all needed Jetpack features via Jetpack → Settings.
- Add photos via Portfolio powered by Jetpack plugin (create projects).
- Add your Portfolio / individual projects to the front page / inner pages.
- Customize the site identity (logo, tagline), color skin and menus.
- Set up the blog.
To instal the Nifty Fifty theme, follow these steps:
- In your WordPress admin panel, go to Appearance → Themes and click the Add New button.
- Click Upload Theme, Browse and Choose File; then select the theme’s ZIP file. Click Install Now.
- Click Activate to use your new theme.
Note: we recommend using a niftyfifty-child child theme that comes in the theme package (downloadable files) for your custom modifications. This will help you keep your content despite main theme updates. To use a child theme install and activate niftyfifty-child.zip theme (optional).
- Set up the Jetpack plugin. The image galleries in the theme are powered by the Jetpack plugin, so you’ll need to configure it. To get access to all free features of the Jetpack plugin, you should connect it to wordpress.com via your WordPress dashboard (optional).
Import sample data from xml file
Find manual-install zip archive that comes in the theme package (downloadable files). Extract files if needed.
- Install WordPress if you have not already done that.
- Add the theme via FTP or by uploading it via WordPress Dashboard.
- Activate the theme and install required plugins (Jetpack).
- Connect Jetpack to WordPress.com (optional).
- Activate other Jetpack modules like ‘Contact Form’ following this URL
(replace your_website_url with your domain name).
- Navigate to Dashboard → Tools → Import and click on the ‘Run Importer’ link.
- You may need to install WordPress importer first by pressing ‘Install Now’ under WordPress label.
- Click ‘Browse’ button and select
- Click ‘Upload file and import’.
- Select ‘Download and import file attachments’.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- Wait until the import is complete.
- Navigate to Dashboard → Settings → Reading Settings. Setup your home page and blog.
- Proceed to other theme settings in the documentation.