You are probably wondering how to put your WordPress website into the maintenance mode.
No matter your reasons for using temporary under construction banners/pages in WordPress – site downtimes or the first launch – you need an easy way to deal with the task. This is the case when full-fledged and simple WordPress coming soon plugins come in handy. They are crafted to provide you with super easy, no-brainer, no-coding and no-tinkering (almost) under construction template building experience.
Under maintenance and Coming soon pages are a good solution for disabling your WordPress website temporarily. And we’ve got a nice collection of WordPress coming soon plugins you can start using in just a few minutes.
Let’s now jump right in!
The best WordPress Coming Soon plugins
Beware – almost all of them have quite generic long names that are hard to remember, so make sure to add preferable ones to bookmarks!
1. Coming Soon and Maintenance Mode Pages for WordPress
One reason why this tool is on top of the list of other WordPress coming soon plugins is that I really loved playing with its backend demo (which is accessible in a click without email registration). It gives a clear idea of how to manage the plugin and what it’s capable of.
The admin settings are really straightforward. You can easily control when the website maintenance mode is on/off. The plugin welcomes you with a prepared list of answers to common user questions, so you can quickly figure out how to set the things up and prioritize your work with it. This is the best available evidence of a very thought-out user-centered design.
Above all, the plugin arms you with tons of on-demand features for building and getting the most out of the website coming soon mode:
- Dozens of pre-designed under construction templates – stunning and professional ready-to-go layouts.
- A huge library of free high-res images (650,000+) to fit taste and purpose of any website.
- A real-time drag-and-drop design builder to help you make required tweaks without efforts (change colors, fonts, sizes, background, logo, etc.).
- Tools for SEO.
- Instagram filters.
- You can upload and customize Youtube and Vimeo videos.
- Customizable Google Map.
- A full-featured and fully customizable email subscription form (including GDPR Consent Checkbox) will give you a chance to skyrocket your email list growth before the website is up and running.
- Ability to add a countdown timer and a progress bar.
- Support for major social media icons.
- Autoresponder and email marketing services (Mailchimp).
- Flexible website access rules.
- Support for custom styles (developer-friendly).
- Free version available.
Different pricing plans unlock different sets of features, so you can easily choose the most suitable one for your needs and budget. Actually, for $29 you are able to get absolutely everything needed for creating and optimizing your WordPress maintenance mode page.
No surprise this plugin is used by thousands of WordPress businesses. It gives you all needed tools to nut just build a remarkable coming soon page, but also promote the website to the fullest even before its launch.
This is probably the best WordPress maintenance mode plugin for budget-minded people because it’s open-source, which means… the plugin is totally free! Of course, it doesn’t offer that bunch of premium features, but if you are looking for a barebone set of options for a simple coming soon page in WordPress, it should suffice.
The plugin’s toolkit provides all basic customization and marketing options for placing your website into the maintenance mode:
- Customizable background image (place your custom image), texts, colors and fonts.
- Ability to set a Countdown timer.
- Email subscription form to capture emails of your visitors.
- Support for WordPress multisite (manage multiple websites independently).
- Support for social media icons.
- Chatbot feature aimed at interacting with visitors to get them to subscribe to updates at the end (quite a unique feature, actually).
- Ability to exclude custom login URLs from the maintenance mode.
The configuration process shouldn’t be a hassle since plugin’s interface is quite self-explanatory.
There are several reasons why I love this plugin: these guys offer super professional and creative (to my eye) ready-made designs for coming soon pages (in other words WordPress placeholder page or WordPress maintenance page), the free version is really feature-rich and finally, the Pro version is very affordable.
The free plugin allows you to customize a coming soon page with configurable colors, fonts, text, logo, icons, backgrounds, etc. Fullscreen background and Google Analytics are also supported.
As for the Pro version, there are even more tools:
- Straightforward editing interface.
- Stunning countdown timer with different designs.
- Fullscreen background gallery.
- Background video support (self-hosted, Vimeo and Youtube) with optional autoplay.
- All array of social media profiles.
- Background blur options.
- MailChimp and Campaign Monitor integration.
- Translated into multiple languages.
Unlike some other WordPress coming soon plugins, Maintenance plugin doesn’t nickel and dime you for every feature. If you need something simple, a free version comes in handy with loads of branding options. If you are looking for a mature solution, a premium version has it all.
I think this premium WordPress plugin is one the easiest and fastest way to build an awesome website under construction page. Why? Because unlike many other plugins in the niche, it comes with awesome pre-built templates you can employ without or with little configuration. This saves you from having to design everything yourself! When your website is broken, you don’t actually have time for that.
Moreover, if you constantly deal with the website maintenance issues or just need to make quick fixes, the plugin will be of good help, too.
Let’s take a closer look at the core features:
- A user-friendly drag-and-drop editor you can use to personalize the templates.
- Image search powered by Unsplash (check out more free stock image resources).
- Google Analytics integration for traffic tracking.
- Built-in contact form.
- Perfect access control.
- Mailchimp and Zapier integration.
If you are looking to put your website under the maintenance mode today and just can’t afford waiting, I believe this plugin with tons of creative templates is a way to go.
You may also like: best AMP WordPress plugins to skyrocket mobile performance
This is another widely used WordPress maintenance mode plugin, which is available in a free and paid versions.
It does pretty much the same thing as other under construction WordPress plugins. However, the pro versions allow you to add a bunch of animation effects, create a background slider and offers some other fancy features that are ready to make your coming soon or landing page truly effective.
Let’s highlight some major features of more powerful premium versions of this plugin:
- A fantastic level of customization (custom logo, adjustable background image and color, adjustable element position, fonts, etc.)
- Youtube video backgrounds.
- Countdown timer available in three designs and lots of appearance customization tools (btw, it can be hidden or disabled when expired).
- Customizable email subscription form.
- Social media buttons integration, including an option to upload your custom image.
- Support for favicon upload.
Overall, the plugin doesn’t offer you lots of ready-to-go templates, but it comes with one of the deepest level of customization for each element you add to your under construction page. Your should just come up with your own ideas and design your dream page.
This plugin will help you create a minimal coming soon page with all necessary details. The most distinctive feature of its Pro version is a number of popular email marketing services you are able to connect your newsletter subscription with, including Mailchimp, Madmimi, GetResponse, Icontact and more.
However, let’s see what you can achieve with a free Coming Soon WP plugin. Almost all are very basic features:
- Customize a color scheme, upload a background image, change fonts, add contact info.
- Support for 4 social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+).
- SEO of titles and descriptions.
- Background slideshow with up to 5 images and some more tools.
But if you need to unlock more features like Google fonts access, a contact form, user access control, a collection of design templates and more, you’ll need to purchase a premium version for at least $19, which is relatively not expensive.
This is one of the top popular WordPress coming soon plugins. You can download it for free or benefit from tons of features of a premium version. The plugin is recommended by many WordPress experts and, which I think is even more important, is used by thousands of WordPress users.
But if you are ready to pay some money to use premium features, I believe it will pay off. So what are some other features you get within a premium version? Let’s highlight the most prominent ones (note that some of the following features are available only in Developer pricing plan)
- Highly user-friendly visual page builder.
- A collection of free background images and Google fonts.
- 50+ pre-built coming soon WordPress templates (though they don’t look distinctively different).
- Zapier integration for connecting email marketing service you already use.
- Social media icons and social share buttons.
- Photo and video embed.
- Fullscreen slideshows.
- Countdown timer and progress bar.
- Multisite support.
- GDPR ready.
- Google Analytics support.
- Custom favicon.
You can test drive the backend tools of the plugin for free.
One more nice WordPress maintenance mode plugin that you can get at just $15 for one website (all elite features included!). There is also a free version that is very generous: such feature as countdown timer that is usually paid in other similar plugins, is offered for free with EZP Coming Soon.
Let’s dive into the most interesting features of the Pro version:
- Fully customizable page with configurable logo, fonts and effects.
- Customizable backgrounds.
- Fullscreen video background.
- Autosync to MailChimp and Constant Contact.
- Advanced access control.
- Out-of-the-box social icons integration.
This plugin comes with pretty much the same toolkit for creating a fully-featured under construction banner. The editor unlocks a whole array of tools: customizable texts, logo, background, social icons and more standard options.
You may also enjoy this solution thanks to such premium options:
- Five premium customizable templates.
- WordPress user role control (manage website access).
- Countdown timer.
- SEO tools.
- Email subscription form with MailChimp integration.
- Traffic tracking.
One more decent option for building responsive coming soon and maintenance mode pages for WordPress site. The plugin is fast to configure and provides support for integration with popular email marketing platforms, namely MailChimp, AWeber, GetResponse, Campaign Monitor, iContact and MyMail. User role management is available too: you are free to disable maintenance mode for users with certain roles.
Advantages of the Coming Soon and Maintenance Mode plugin that are worth to mention are:
- Countdown timer.
- AJAX-ed opt-in form.
- Emails are collected in local database.
- CSV import of the gathered emails.
- Full color customization.
- SEO friendly.
- Translation ready.
The cool feature of this plugin is its variety of ready-made demos of coming soon banners with multiple background options. Currently, you can choose among slideshow background, video background, parallax background, static image background or full color background. Also, for you to keep the design of your temporary website professional, the plugin provides you with 10 pre-made color schemes.
Some other helpful features of this plugin are:
- 2 countdown types: digits and circles.
- Integrations with 10 email marketing platforms: MailPoet, MailChimp, Campaign Monitor, AWeber, Mailster, Constant Contact, iContact.
- Roles management.
- JQuery page effects.
- More Info popup.
- 10 social links.
Verde gives you a choice of 7 background types and lets you use Google Maps as a background for contact form section. The plugin is already translated into German, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
What else is great about this maintenance mode plugin? Let’s see:
- Mailchimp and Campaign Monitor integration.
- Youtube and Vimeo video embedding.
- 2 countdown styles.
- Google fonts.
- Logo and favicon change.
- Detailed documentation.
The next plugin in our collection, Everest Coming Soon, is optimized for the Gutenberg editor and will smoothly work within WordPress 5.0 and higher. The pre-made templates it offers are – at least to my mind – truly modern-looking and interactive, so make sure to check them out.
Some of the other benefits of Everest Coming Soon:
- Disabling maintenance mode for specific pages and IPs.
- Contact form and subscription form integration.
- Google Maps integration.
- Site completion percentage loader.
- 13 social media icons.
Arnica is one of the WordPress coming soon plugins in our roundup that is tested with 5.0 version and ready for Gutenberg. Using it, you can build fully responsive and retina ready maintenance mode banners and choose among 3 background variations for them (single image, image slideshow or YouTube video.)
Let’s discover more features of this plugin:
- Mailchimp integration.
- Ajax PHP subscribe form.
- 6 pre-made color skins.
- Font Awesome icons.
- Typography control (Google Fonts).
Have you managed to find the best and most cost-effective solution for your needs? Share your thoughts with us in comments and help other readers choose the right WordPress coming soon plugins for their projects.
P.S. After your website is ready to go live again, make sure it treats your mobile users well. Create mobile-optimized versions of your pages and posts with AMP technology that’s actively supported by Google, and get your site load blazingly fast on mobile. Learn how to do it using a dedicated WordPress AMP plugin.