Video autoplay in Chrome

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Mustoe
    Participant

Hi all,

Since Google updated its autoplay policy background video in Chrome will only play if the user “interacts” with it – which kind of ruins the effect.

If the video is muted though, it will play automatically.

The videos I have uploaded to the media library have no audio track, yet Chrome won’t play it on load, which leads me to think that I have to explicitly set it to mute in the code to be recognised as muted by the browser.

But I can’t figure out how to do that in Emmet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Tim.

J. Davis
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

Thank you for reporting this. In order to add needed attribute that indicates that video is muted you should follow the steps below:
    – navigate to /wp-content/themes/emmet/sections
    – open big_title.php file with file editor
    – find the following line <video id="video_background" preload="none" loop="loop"
    – replace that line with one below
    <video id="video_background" muted="true" preload="none" loop="loop"
    – save changes, clear the cache and try to view your site again.

In case you want to save this change from theme update you can follow these easy steps:
    – install Child Theme (note you might need to re-configure some sections of the Front Page after activating Child Theme)
    – copy /wp-content/themes/emmet/custom-page.php file
    – paste it to /wp-content/themes/emmet-child/ folder
    – open this file in text editor, find ‘big_title.php’ text in this file and edit it into e.g. ‘my_big_title.php’ and save the changes.
    – after that navigate to /wp-content/themes/emmet/sections/ folder and rename the file big_title.php into my_big_title.php or the name you edited it within custom-page.php file

However we’ll do our best to add this change in one of the next theme updates. Thank you.

best regards,
    John

Tim Mustoe
    Participant

Works a charm!

Thanks John.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.