Updating theme causes problems with child theme

Free and Premium WordPress Plugins & Themes Forums WordPress Themes Luviana Updating theme causes problems with child theme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David W.
    Participant

Hi,

I am using the “Luviana” theme and updated it today to version 1.2.2 via wordpress.

Afterwards I got the error message: “The parent theme is missing. Please install the “luviana” parent theme.”

I am also using the child theme, but apparently the child theme cannot recognize the parent theme after the update and I cannot load the website any more, as I always get this error message

Already tried to reinstall via wordpress, via FTP, renaming folders etc., nothing works.

Please advise on how to fix this.

Many thanks

David W.
    Participant

I found the solution. I had to rename “Text Domain: theme name” and “Template: theme name” to the same, both for the parent and child theme via design>theme-editor>style.css. You might want to check this for other people updating the theme.

Andre Flores

Hello David,

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate the issue locally, the Text Domain and Template names are the same in both child and parent themes by default.

Regards,
    Andre

Tilman
    Participant

Hi Andre,

facing exactly the same issue / error message as David has stated. Using latest WP 5.7 and also tried in different test environments…same issue appears.

I don’t know what to do or where to look at actually.

Any specific guidance or general settings to be considered?

Thanks
    Tilman

Andre Flores

Hello Tilman and David,

I have consulted with our developer and he informed me that the issue indeed persisted once the theme update was released. The issue has been resolved already, in order to have it fixed you should re-download the new theme version v. 1.2.2 from your personal MotoPress account and install it over current theme via Dashboard (the update option via WordPress dashboard is available from WordPress v. 5.5).

Regards,
    Andre

Tilman
    Participant

Hi Andre,

just tested; no error message anymore – appreciated!

Reg. Theme Update: i.e. Existing Theme settings, custom CSS, language modifications will remain post parent theme update or was there anything to consider / any guidance around this?

Thanks again

Andre Flores

Hello Tilman

It is usually recommend to back-up the theme files before updating it. If you performed any changes in the parent theme files, you might miss them after the update. As for the settings and custom CSS added in Customizer, they should remain in tact.

Regards,
    Andre

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.